I cook fresh, (sometimes) healthy recipes

Monday 30 September 2013

Breakfast: No Crust Vegetarian Mini Quiches

+ No comment yet

As the end of the week approaches, I usually run out of a vital ingredient....eggs! My brother is a big eater (aren't they all!) so between my regular baking sessions and his large appetite, their number always seems to dwindle to one single egg. 

Since embarking on my quest to eat much healthier, I've discovered ways to recreate some of my favourite dishes that aren't necessarily the healthiest. In the process, I've set myself a personal challenge to prove to myself and to others (hope you're reading this Mum) that healthy eating doesn't have to be boring or unappetising. This egg white quiche recipe combines my favourite roast vegetables with egg whites to provide a breakfast option that's healthy and lower in calories. To make them, I used silicone cupcake moulds (you can find them here).


You'll need (for approx. 8):
1/4 can of Evaporated Milk
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
Mix of your favourite veggies. I combine a chopped red pepper & green pepper, one chopped aubergine, chopped garlic, two large tomatoes (chopped finely), and a chopped onion in a large roasting tray. Drizzle generously with olive oil and some sea salt and roast for about 45 mins at 175 degrees C. 

PREHEAT your oven to 175 degrees C.


GREASE your silicone cases with a little coconut butter (you can also use normal butter) and lightly dust your cases with flour. 


WHISK the evaporated milk, egg white, cheese, flour, salt and black pepper in a bowl until blended.


COMBINE the quiche mix with the roast vegetables and spoon the mixture into the silicone cases. Bake the mini quiches for 20-25 minutes. 

Post a Comment