I cook fresh, (sometimes) healthy recipes

Saturday 21 September 2013

Vegetarian: Wholewheat Chickpea Tostada

+ No comment yet

Growing up, I was always in awe of how my mum seemed to know her way around a kitchen and prepared great feasts with ease. You see we never had any cookbooks in the house when we were younger - my mum ONLY cooked Nigerian food - so I became enamoured with the day that I would be old enough to join her and also learn how to cook from memory. It wasn't until I was a teenager that she admitted that she loathed cooking and even more so the monthly food shop. 

I have definitely adopted my mum's cooking style and have trained my eye to measure portion sizes. I usually use my hand as a good point of reference for measurement. I rarely follow recipes fully and usually make adjustments especially if I don't that particular ingredient in my house or I want to make something a little bit more healthy. So in this case, I replaced the refried beans with kidney beans and I held off on the cheese but they were still delicious!


You'll need:
1 wholewheat tortilla
handful of kidney beans
small handful of chickpeas
handful of spinach, chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1/2 avocado, peeled & chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed

To Season: juice of a lime, olive oil, salt & pepper


PRE-HEAT the oven to 200 degrees C. 


SPREAD a thin amount of olive oil on both sides of the tortilla. Place the tortilla on a baking sheet/tin foil in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly crispy. Leave to chill on a plate.


PREPARE the avocado 'salsa' by placing the chopped avocado and tomato in a bowl. Add the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt (to taste). 


FRY the onions and kidney beans with a tablespoon of olive oil on a low-medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and some salt. Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped spinach. Mash the mixture with a potato masher and spread on top of the tortilla. Pile the avocado salsa on top and add the chickpeas. Drizzle with the juice of the other lime half.

Post a Comment